We generate more than just energy.
We generate new possibilities with our commitment to sustainable practices. Our growing green energy profile includes eight biomass energy facilities that contribute to the on-site production of wood products. Two are co-generation assets that also sell power. All the power sold is generated from renewable wood biomass, primarily bark from sawmill operations.Armstrong co-generation unit:
- Start up of the Armstrong co-gen facility in 2001 enabled the decommissioning of several beehive burners in the North Okanagan.
- This operation is EcoLogo-certified , the Canadian national standard for green energy.
- All generated power is sold to BC Hydro under an agreement that supports the province of British Columbia’s commitment to increasing clean, green power.
- In 2007, Tolko invested $2 million in upgrades to this facility to improve its environmental and economic performance.
- This unit sells power produced in excess of the site’s consumption to FortisBC , an electric power and gas company.
Together, these facilities can produce 28 megawatts of green power -- enough electricity to power over 18,000 homes.