During these uncertain times, nothing is more important than the health and safety of our Tolko employees, partners, and the communities where we live and work. We are continuing to monitor reports of COVID-19, as well as the recommendations from public health authorities. Based on the latest information and as a result of the unfolding events, we’re taking action to help protect Tolko employees from potential exposure and keeping them updated as the situation unfolds.
We understand the important role that Tolko plays in the surrounding communities at each of our divisions. With that in mind, we have a response team in place that is making decisions based on what is best for our employees, our communities, and our business under the ever-changing circumstances. We’re taking this situation very seriously and following official recommendations. Some of the action steps we’ve taken so far include:
- suspending non-essential business travel and requiring employees to self-isolate if they visit high-risk areas or are exposed to those with COVID-19;
- updating those travel restrictions when government recommendations expanded to include all travel outside of Canada;
- restricting site visitors to those with a valid business reason and requiring visitors to sign a self-declaration form;
- emphasizing social distancing and proper hygiene, such as hand washing and staying home when you are sick; and
- recommending work-from-home arrangements, conference call meetings instead of in-person meetings, and the elimination of group gatherings that could be a risk to employees.
This is not business as usual. The situation is unprecedented, things are changing rapidly, and we are continuing to frequently communicate with employees. Our decisions are designed to contain the virus and reduce the probability of transmission across the company and our communities.
To get through this health crisis, it is key that we work together, look out for each other, and are thoughtful of our actions. Tolko is committed to keeping our employees safe while maintaining our operations and being an important part of our communities.
Tolko President & CEO